Thursday, March 19, 2015

Party Planning DIY from Dollar Tree

Hello all!

I'm sorry I have been missing in action, but so much has been going on. I'm in the process of starting my own company on top of my regular job, party planning, and regular household things.
What I would like to share with you today is a couple of awesome DIY tutorials. Unfortunately I haven't bought one of those fancy cameras yet, so my pictures aren't the greatest, and I am new to the tutorial thing and haven't quite figured out at which step I need to take a picture, but most of them are quite simple so it should be fine.
I have been interested in wedding/party planning for quite sometime, and I occasionally work with a local event planner as an event supervisor. I genuinely enjoy making people's events everything they have dreamed of. I was recently asked to help a friend create a Lisa Vanderpump style table for his birthday, but on a budget. I accepted the challenge and went to work. I was given majority of creative control, which was great, and things turned out amazingly if you ask me.






Everything was made from "scratch" and was custom made for this event. The ambiance of the room of course puled everything together perfectly.  I made the vases, tall candles, monogram candles, gold stones, cake pops, and "sparkly" fruit. I will be breaking this up into several blogs instead of one long one.




Let's start with the candles easiest one, the tall gold candles. I simply used gold spray paint on 4 white tapered candles from Dollar Tree. I then placed them in these cheap, yet fancy looking candleholders.


Found Here























Two simple steps that even a child could do, but with a really pretty outcome. The candles were also from Dollar Tree. Next up I will show you these fabulous vases. I have since planned on making myself a couple to keep in my home, but I have been procrastinating and haven't gotten off my little procrastinating ass.









First I taped the vases all the way up. You can choose the width of your lines however you like, but I chose to do my bottom 2", and then alternated 1" at a time. The easiest way to get a good guide was to take the entire vase and then remove the pieces I wanted to be gold.











Once they were all taped, it was time to start spraying them. Now this is where I apparently had some diminished capacity of the brain. At least temporarily. But hey, this means I can tell you what NOT to do. You see, in my mind at the time, I thought I could just spray the vases just the way they are over here to our right. Well, what I didn't think about was the fact that the overspray on the inside would show through to the outside....since it's glass. DUH!! I know. Much an idiot move, but hey, we all have those moments. SO what you SHOULD do is stuff the vase with newspaper.



As you can see here, I held my hand in it so that I could turn is when I needed to since my space was limited. I also decided to do this in the house, which wasn't the brightest idea ever, but since I live in a loft, I didn't really have anywhere else to go. Our house was filled with gold dust for days.






At least I had enough sense to put on a pair of latex gloves.



I peeled off the tape, and VOILA! So simple and so gorge. The can of paint was only $4 at home depot. I used the Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic Gold Spray Paint.



I hope you enjoyed, and if you decide to try this for yourself, please feel free to send me a picture. I would love to see your results.


Smooches,





















1 comment:

  1. You made me smile by sharing these wonderful photographs. I love all the arrangements. Those golden glasses are too attractive. I would like to use this idea in my engagement party that is going to be held at the prettiest party places Miami.

    ReplyDelete