Thursday, February 27, 2014

Women Need To Be Weird More Often

I have never been one to have a ton of friends, and I have never wished I did. I have always kept my circle small because I value quality over quantity. However, as I have gotten older I have felt the need to reach out to people more and more, women especially. I have always been very social and outgoing, but I never really tried to make friends because I never felt like it was reciprocated. Women spend so much time judging each other instead of trying to support each other. If one woman is "too friendly" or reach out too much, then she is considered weird. This post is inspired by one of those "weird" women. I was at the gym when a young lady walked up to me and said "Excuse me. I'm sorry, I don't want to weird you out or anything, but I just wanted to know where you got your yoga pants". The fact that she felt like she needed to apologize, for possibly "weirding me out", is kind of sad.

As women, we should really reach out to each other more. We should accept others when they do reach out. We should support each other and not criticize each other so much. Let's stop talking negatively about the woman walking into the room, and let's try to be more positive and compliment her instead. On election day 2012 I was at a party by myself, and a young woman walked up to me and asked if I was there alone. She was outgoing and bubbly and asked me to come and hang out with  her and her friends. We hung out and chatted, and at the end of the night she told me her and a friend were meeting for brunch the next morning and asked if I wanted to join. She later told one of her friends, who jokingly said "what kind of lesbian shit is that?lol". I went to brunch that next day, and we have been friends ever since. We go to a weekly happy hour with 3 other women and 1 guy. I have had so much fun thanks to her being "weird".

After meeting this young lady at the gym, I thought to ask her if she wanted to hang out sometime, and see if she wanted to come to our happy hour, but decide not to because I thought she would think I was weird. I think next time I'll just go ahead and be "weird".

I really feel that as women, black women especially, we have to stop hating on one another and embrace each other instead. Let's all put attitudes aside and come together.



XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment