Monday, January 6, 2014

TurboTax Thinks Tall People Are Gross

As I was sitting in my bed today, watching TV, (while being snowed in) I saw something quite disturbing.  But before we get to what exactly that was, let's ask the question that, apparently, only TurboTax knows the answer to: How tall do you have to be before it becomes gross?  Am I gross yet, or do I have an inch or so to go?  Before I go any further, let me present to you the TurboTax commercial of the hour in all of it's glory:

(listen to the very first question she asks)



(If you're unable to view the video click here)
As a proud 6'2", curvy, statuesque, strong, and future mother of tall children, I am disgusted by what TurboTax decided to say in its commercial.  It's bad enough that everyone feels the need to ask me whether I played basketball, and when I say I didn't, I clearly HAD to play volleyball.  Sometimes get tired of answering the same questions over and over.  So when asked if I played those sports, sometimes, I just respond with "don't all tall people?".  To top it all off it turns out that the majority of people believe that tall people are deaf too, which is why we can't hear them when they walk by us and say "damn she's tall" or "holy crap she's tall".  Would you walk up to a short person you don't know and say "how short are you" or "holy crap you're short"?  Probably not since it would be considered rude.  So why is it ok to make fun of, or state the obvious to tall people? 

Imagine being a 13 year old young girl, standing 5'11" (like I did) and seeing this commercial.  I'm sure someone has already teased her, and she might wish that she were 5'5" like all of her friends.  She might be tired of standing out in every photo, and she might not want to stand up straight in the hopes that it will make her appear shorter.  So after all of this, she now needs to hear that being tall is gross.  Shame of TurboTax for approving it, the advertising firm responsible for creating the commercial, the actress for participating in it, and the director for not catching it.  Shame on all parties involved!  I think TurboTax owes the tall citizens of the world an apology.  I'm not much for asking people to like and share things on Facebook, but I am going to ask that everyone shares this, and demand an apology.  I feel like this may be considered a form of sizeism.  I understand that sizeism is generally a term used in the discrimination against overweight people, but according to some definitions it can include any type of discrimination against any size (i.e. tall, short, heavy, skinny).

Having said all this, let me make something very clear.  I am proud to be tall.  I love being tall.  I embrace being tall. I only wear heels 4" and up, I walk with confidence, I carry myself with pride, I hold my shoulders back, and I wear all the clothes the "experts" say tall women shouldn't (because they make us seem even taller).  Maybe it's the fact that the world can't handle all of our awesomeness that people don't know what to do with us.  After all, we strive to be above average in every aspect of life, so why not want to be above average in height?  So here is my message to that young girl out there that hasn't quite gotten comfortable in her beautiful (and oh so awesome) tall skin quite yet: Stand tall, put your shoulders back, put on your heels, walk with confidence, and always remember:

The world isn't going to get taller, 
and you're not going to get any shorter, 
so you might as well love it. -Dominique "The Tall Girl Diaries"

I seriously hope that people read this and remember that we are people, and not spectacles. 


XO,








UPDATE: TurboTax removed the part of the commercial that mentioned tall people being gross. I assume it was because we e-mailed, facebooked, and shared the story. Thanks everyone who participated.

4 comments:

  1. Please don't give up this effort - you're not alone! I am boycotting Turbotax and spreading the word to everyone I know. We need to get media attention on this to put pressure on Turbotax to pull the commercial before one more impressionable kid sees it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately due to me being new to blogger at the time you posted, and me then taking a hiatus form blogging, I just saw this message. They changed the commercial after the blog post, e-mails, Facebook posts, and phone calls.
      Again, I am so sorry I took forever to see this. I am back to blogging and will definitely stick to it this time. I hope you keep reading.

      Delete
  2. When short people ask if I play/ed basketball, volleyball, etc., I look at them and ask sincerely...Do you play miniature golf? That usually gets their attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that question all the time, and usually by the time they ask about one sport I respond with "I don't play any sports at all". I may have to steal the "do you play miniature golf?" question.LOL Thanks for reading and responding. XO

      Delete